Monday, September 7, 2009

i spoke too soon

basically roxanne and i were walking home from a supermaxi with the ingredients to make cooooooooookies, and on our way, there was some guy that passed us on the street and then about 20 feet infront of us turned around.. he looked lost, but he actually just had a knife. on our right was a bunch of lanes of trafic and on the left was a huge cement wall.. i thought about running, i thought about saying i didnt have my phone with me, i thought about a lot of things.. amazing how many thoughts your mind can process in just a matter of seconds.. roxanne was walking closest to the wall so she was able to pass him, but he kind of walked up to me with a knife and pushed me against the wall.. all he wanted was my phone, so i gave it to him.. we walked back to the supermaxi shocked, found a phone and called one of our parents.. granted it wasnt even dark out, only 4pm.. but anyway my mom couldnt come get me from literally FIVE minutes away cause some guy was installing shelves in her house so roxanne´s mom came to get us, an HOUR later..

*sigh-- the phone wasnt really a big issue, i have already replaced it.. actually considering everything, we´re really lucky since that day we had our passports with us to get our censos.. but now just walking around our relatively safe neighborhood.. i cant seem to relax.. every guy i see i hesitate and hold my breathe wondering if anything will happen.. i also feel lucky that roxanne was with me at the time. since then we´ve walked around everywhere together, and that night after we made cookies, we fell asleep in her bed watching a movie.. neither of us really felt like being alone i guess...

being robbed took me by surprise, no doubt, but i have to say they did warn us a bajillion and 10 times about the possibility of it happening.. what bothered me the most is that my mom wouldnt leave to come pick me and roxanne up after what had just happened.. she suggested taking a taxi instead.. as if we really felt like getting in a car with another stranger after that happened.. it just seemed cold to me..

anyway, i guess its an experience..

i just walk around a lot more paranoid now and i HATE it.. we went to a new discotec in the weekend, and some guy screamed ¨baila¨ louder than the music or any other noises.. and although it just means dance, for some reason it freaked me out a lot, i think its just cause it was in a small place with very bright flashing lights and reminded me of somone robbing the place with a gun.. i dunno, i konw that probably sounds crazy ..anyway roxanne and i left with a few people to go to the more familiar discotec where we spent the rest of the night drinking and dancing

the best of it all is that earlier that day i said to roxanne.. ¨now wouldnt this be the worst day to get robbed, jajajaja¨ . . . . . *sigh

my first 3 weeks here have been amazing.. though since we were robbed, iv just been craving a familiarity that i cant seem to find anywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment